At Botlierskop Private Game Reserve, perfection is not an option it is a way of life, and the talented chefs at Botlierskop’s beautiful Fire Place Restaurant embody this principle. They understand that to complement a spectacular day spent exploring the majestic Garden Route area of the Western Cape, an out-of-this-world culinary experience is key.
With a modern/game fusion style of cooking, you can expect to dine on some modern classics with a unique twist to suit your safari location. Botlierskop’s take on the traditional Beef Wellington is a deconstructed Venison Wellington. This mouth-watering dish consists of impala fillet grilled to perfection, topped with mushrooms sautéed in Boplaas vintage sherry - to give you that true South African flavour- and finished, of course, with delicious puff pastry. It is accompanied by French-style dauphinoise potatoes stacked on a mushroom and pepper savoury crumpet.
For a modern take on a traditional dish, try the Beef Fillet-a 200g perfectly grilled fillet, topped with French-style fondant potatoes and a red pepper relish, accompanied by a Belgian chocolate and chilli sauce. This dish is definitely the chefs at their best with its combination of flavours ready to tickle your taste buds.
Something for Everyone
Botlierskop’s dedication to their guests extends to all aspects, including guests’ specific dietary requirements. Vegetarians are in for a treat with Chef Paul’s creations. Paul loves taking his culinary skills to the next level and coming up with dishes bursting with flavour using only the finest selection of vegetables and herbs from Botlierskop’s very own garden.
Try the delectable vegetable tower built with grilled and baked black pesto-stuffed mushrooms, honey-glazed butternut and sweet potato and filled with capsicum peppers, parmesan shavings and fresh herbs from the garden.Pure Indulgence
All this decadence can be enjoyed in the elegant ambiance of the Fire Place Restaurant. The open-plan restaurant and spacious lounge, situated on a hill, opens out onto a deck with uninterrupted views of the game reserve and river.
Let the glow of candlelight, or in winter the roaring crackle of a fire in the oversized fireplace, accompany you as you indulge. Let our attentive waitrons serve you, our chefs spoil you and once you are fully satisfied, let the sounds of the bush lull you to sleep in your luxurious room.
Wake up to a day filled with all the excitement that the game reserve and surrounding Garden Route has to offer. The chefs at Botlierskop know just how to start your day off right, with a full gourmet breakfast.
A Sweet Treat
To bring a taste of Botlierskop into your home, try this Botlierskop Signature Dessert Recipe. It will leave you wanting more…
Botlierskop’s Baked Cheesecake with Creamy Caramel Sauce
By Chef Linda
- 1 packet traditional Marie biscuits
- 125g melted butter
- 3 tubs/750g cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 250ml castor sugar
- 7ml vanilla essence
- 500ml sour cream
- 125 ml castor sugar
- 7ml vanilla essence
- 80g butter cut into small cubes
- 125 ml fresh cream
- 200g granulated white sugar
- A pinch of sea salt flakes
- Preheat your oven to 160°C.
- Crush the Marie Biscuits to fine crumbs and mix with the melted butter. Press mixture into the base of a greased 26cm baking tin.
- Cream together the filling ingredients and place on top of the biscuit base. Bake at 160°C for 45 minutes, when the edges start cracking you will know that it’s done.
- Mix the topping ingredients together and place on top of your cheesecake and put back into the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Switch off oven and leave the cheesecake to cool down with your oven door open.
- To make the caramel topping, over a medium heat dissolve the sugar in a heavy based saucepan. Once the sugar is completely dissolved and a good golden-caramel colour, remove it from the heat.
- Add the butter bit by bit, while whisking continuously. Return the saucepan to the heat and pour in the cream, still whisking vigorously. As soon as the sauce is smooth and well combined, remove it from the heat. Add the salt and stir to dissolve.
- Pour the sauce over your cheesecake and decorate it with a sliced strawberry and a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!